Are you an IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Society (GRSS) student member or member who has graduated in the last 2 years? Do you already have some experience with a GRSS Student Chapter? Then we invite you to apply to be our GRSS Student Chapter Coordinator!
As the GRSS Student Chapter Coordinator (SCC) you will get the chance to participate in the Administrative Committee of the Society, oversee our global GRSS Student Chapter Program, organize events relevant to GRSS student members in different IEEE regions, get involved in diverse GRSS committees, and help with aspects pertaining to student members at the International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS), the flagship GRSS conference. The following are the responsibilities of the SCC:
- The SCC shall oversee the global GRSS Student Chapter Program. Under the supervision of the VP for Professional Activities, this role involves:
- Approving events and budgetary expenses for GRSS student chapters and making sure they spend money responsibly
- Organizing a monthly call with GRSS student chapter officers to ensure continued engagement and pace of volunteer-supported activities at GRSS student chapters around the world
- Assist GRSS student chapter officers through their yearly IEEE reporting responsibilities
- The SCC shall write articles and help GRSS student chapter officers to write contributed articles about their GRSS student chapter activities for the GRS Magazine and the GRSS website.
- The SCC shall attend the yearly IEEE Society/Technical Council Student Chapter Coordinator meeting and one GRSS Administrative Committee Meeting per year.
We are looking for a motivated, detail-oriented, and enthusiastic volunteer who is a good team player and who is passionate about creating and fostering a strong sense of community among GRSS student chapter members. Participation in the SCC program will significantly enhance your organizational skills, professional network, and scientific visibility.
The SCC program is a 2-year program, with the second year subject to review after the first year.
Apart from mandatory IEEE and GRSS memberships, a suitable graduating date, and previous experience with a GRSS student chapter, there are no minimum qualifications so all IEEE GRSS students or recently graduated members are encouraged to apply. However, the selection process will be competitive. The major criteria evaluated will be demonstrated technical expertise in a field related to geoscience and remote sensing, history of professional service, demonstrated organizational competence, communication skills, and previous involvement in GRSS activities. The finalists will go through a short interview before the final decision is made.
If you are interested, complete the linked form (note that a Google account is needed):
After completing the personal information portion, you will be asked to upload your CV.
Keep in mind: IEEE and GRSS memberships are required by the time of the award. You may apply for IEEE and GRSS membership at the time of submission to be considered.
Submission due: January 15, 2020
For more details contact: Subit Chakrabarti (email@example.com)