Why should you be part of the IEEE GRSS Community?
- Gain visibility and access to international programs and research opportunities.
- Connect to industry as a market for your remote sensing ideas and as a potential employer.
- Benefit from the broad spectrum of interests of GRSS members.
- Network with others in the local member community.
- Work with like-minded researchers and developers to make a difference in the world through remote sensing.
- Develop relationships with world leaders in remote sensing.
- Benefit from the stimulating mix of theory and practice in remote sensing.
What can GRSS do for you?
- Support continuing education.
- Help you to find and hire talented and motivated people.
- Promote your capabilities and products.
- Make research and academic communities aware of your topics of interest.
How do I become a GRSS member?
Membership is open to professionals and students. Member and Senior Member grades recognize those who have achieved professional proficiency, as demonstrated by degrees received and/or work experience. IEEE Fellow grade is reserved for those Senior Members with unusual distinction in the profession and is conferred only by invitation of the IEEE Board of Directors.
Full Membership is available to those professionals that have demonstrated competence in an IEEE field. Get your IEEE & GRSS Society membership!
A Student Member must carry at least 50% of a normal, full-time academic program as a registered undergraduate or graduate student in a regular course of study in IEEE designated fields. Student Member fees are low and benefits are equal to those of full member grade. Get your IEEE & GRSS Society student membership!
Senior Member is the highest grade for which IEEE/GRSS members can apply. IEEE/GRSS members can self-nominate, or be nominated, for Senior Member grade. Prospective members who would like to apply directly for Senior Member grade must first join IEEE and then submit a Senior Member application. An IEEE member number is required on the Senior Member application. There is no additional fee to apply for Senior Member grade.
The criteria for elevation to Senior Member grade are:
- A candidate shall be an engineer, scientist, educator, technical executive or originator in IEEE-designated fields
- Candidates shall have been in professional practice for at least 10 years
- Candidates shall have shown significant performance over a period of at least 5 of those years
In addition, candidates for Senior Member grade must supply 3 references from current IEEE members holding the grade of Fellow, Senior Member, or Honorary Member.
Senior Members receive a plaque, a $25 certificate toward one new Society membership, eligibility for Fellow Grade nomination, and other benefits. Get your IEEE & GRSS Society student membership, then submit a Senior Member application.
Affiliate Membership is available to those professionals who seek to affiliate themselves with GRSS but do not seek IEEE membership. Affiliates of GRSS enjoy full benefits of the Society, including monthly, online access to TGRS, quarterly e-Newsletter and reduced conference fees. To apply, select an Affiliate membership on your application.
The fine print
- Applications received between 16 August and 28 February will be processed as full-year memberships. Services begin immediately.
- Applications received between 1 March and 15 August will be processed as half-year memberships expiring 31 December of that calendar year.
- GRSS memberships include online access through IEEE Xplore to Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing (TGRS), Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters (GRSL) and Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing (J-STARS).
- Online access through IEEE Xplore to all IGARSS Proceedings and selected GRSS sponsored small symposia is available to members for an additional fee of only $4.
- If you would like to receive printed copies of TGRS, GRSL or J-STARS, you must indicate this on your application form and pay the additional fee(s) of $56, $30, or $36, respectively. These options are available only for full-year memberships.