Professional Development Microgrants
Our microgrants program provides funding to support professional development of young minorities and women pursuing advanced degrees in geosciences and remote sensing who are student members of IEEE GRSS. These grants empower recipients to overcome some of the financial barriers to attain an advanced degree and strengthen their ability to build a successful career in geosciences and remote sensing.
Submissions are now OPEN!
To qualify for a microgrant, you must be an IEEE GRSS student member. In case you are not a member, it is never too late to join here. Each grant is limited to $500 U.S Dollars (USD) maximum per individual.
Funding preference will be given to supporting attendance at IEEE GRSS organized or sponsored events and professional development activities. However, other expenses which facilitate your graduate studies will be considered and can include the following:
- Costs associated with attending research conferences or workshops;
- Computer hardware and/or software to support your graduate studies;
- Costs associated with training;
- Expenses associated with field work (travel and/or equipment);
- Expenses associated with lab work (equipment and/or supplies);
- Paper publication fee;
- Books, ebooks.
Refer to the GRSS Travel Policy available for travel expenses eligible for reimbursement. Expenses will be reimbursed based on submission of receipts.
- Application submission deadline: May 31, 2023
- Applicants informed of outcome of review: June 15, 2023
- Last date for expenditures: October 31, 2023
- Last date to submit expenses via Concur for reimbursement: November 1, 2023
- Last date to submit your report to IDEA on how you applied your microgrant to advance your graduate studies: November 1, 2023. Note that the report must be received before expenses are submitted for reimbursement.
How to Apply
The application for a microgrant is via Google Form, or for Chinese applicants via Shimo Form. Any inquiries regarding applications can be sent to the IEEE GRSS IDEA committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Social Media Publicity
Recipients are encouraged to join and follow social media accounts including the IEEE GRSS and IEEE Women in GRSS accounts: Twitter @IEEE_GRSS, @GRSS_IDEA, Facebook @GRSS.IDEA, LinkedIn (IEEEWINGRSS), GRSS WeChat account (IEEE GRSS), Instagram (@ieee_grss), YouTube (IEEE GRSS). Recipients are encouraged to share the impact of their microgrant on their graduate studies, via social media postings.
Post Grant Reporting
Microgrant recipients will be required to submit a short report on the outcome and impact that the grant has had on their pursuit of graduate studies. Reports must be received at email@example.com no later than November 1, 2023, and before grant recipients submit their expenses. The report should include a photo that captures the impact (for example, a photo of you at an event, taking part in training, completing field work etc.). Recipients are encouraged to acknowledge the IEEE GRSS IDEA microgrant in publications. A template to complete your report can be accessed at Form Annex.