IEEE GRSS Regional Leader Award
Description: The IEEE GRSS established the Regional Leader Award to promote, recognize and support members within the Geoscience and Remote Sensing Society who have made significant technical, scientific and/or organizational achievements in the areas of interest to the IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing community. The award shall be considered annually and presented if an outstanding candidate is identified.
Eligibility: The Special Awards Committee may give preference to candidates who:
- are an IEEE GRSS member with the Grade of Senior Member or Fellow
- have been a member of GRSS and IEEE for at least 5 years
- are pivotal and have performed significant contributions in a region where the GRSS membership and local activities have substantially increased in recent years
The award is presented only once to an individual.
Eligibility and the selection process shall comply with procedures and regulation established in IEEE and Society governing documents, particularly with IEEE Policy 4.4 on Awards Limitations.
Award Items: Certificate and US$1500 honorarium.
Frequency: The award shall be presented annually to one recipient, provided a qualified candidate is nominated.
Nominee Solicitation: The nomination package including the following materials must be submitted by an IEEE GRSS member by December 15:
- nomination template: available though the Award Nomination Tool
- a nomination letter, no more than 4 pages in length, clearly identifying, with evidence and references, the contributions and the impact of the candidate’s work
- a complete curriculum vitae of the candidate
- at least 2 recommendation letters from individuals familiar with the candidate’s regional achievements
Selection/Basis for Judging: quality, significance and impact of the candidate activities; quantity of contributions; duration of significant activity; regional organizational achievements; presence in the GRSS community.
Recipients will be notified by early March.
Presentation: The award shall be presented at an awards ceremony during the International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, IGARSS, together with other IEEE GRSS awards.