Terminology for Microwave Radiometry
Work started several years ago in the context of CEOS to develop a reference for the terminology used in microwave radiometry. Although the work is not entirely complete, a document containing the current compilation has been published in the form of a NIST technical note: “Recommended Terminology for Microwave Radiometry” NIST Technical Note 1551, by Randa, et al, 2008. The document is available at the NIST website.
A copy is provide here for reference ( Download)
The plan was to have four chapters focused on different technology.
- Chapter 1: General Terminology (complete; Included in TN 1551)
- Chapter 2: Real Aperture Radiometers (complete: Included in TN 1551)
- Chapter 3: Polarimetric Radiometry (nearly complete; Included in TN 1551)
- Chapter 4: Interferometric Radiometry (not started)
This information is intended to supplement the following references:
- International Vocabulary of Basic and General Terms, Second edition, International Organization for Standardization (ISO), Switzerland, 1993.
- Guide to the Expression of Uncertainty in Measurement, International Organization for Standardization (ISO), Switzerland, 1993.
We would like to complete Chapters 3 and 4 and request your help:
- Chapter 3: As you use this material let us know of definitions that are either missing or incorrect.
- Chapter 4: We need to build this chapter. Please send a list of terms that should be included with or without proposed definitions. We will develop a draft from your input.
David Le Vine