IEEE Women in Engineering
IEEE Women in Engineering (WIE) is the largest international professional organization dedicated to promoting women engineers & scientists, and inspiring women and girls around the world to follow their academic interests to a career in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM).
The mission of IEEE WIE is to facilitate the global recruitment and retention of women in technical disciplines. IEEE WIE envisions a vibrant community of IEEE women and men collectively using their diverse talents to innovate for the benefit of humanity. WIE aspires to inspire, engage and advance women in engineering. Join WIE today!
We are developing programs and provide services within GRSS geared towards women & minorities:
- At IGARSS 2017, for the first time, we will organize the Women in STEM Forum to promote diversity, inclusion, and career success in GRSS that benefit all IGARSS attendees, but is particularly focused on women and minority attendees. The IGARSS Women in STEM Forum will feature highly accomplished women in STEM from a mix of backgrounds and with diverse career paths. We are inviting you to join the Women in STEM Forum at IGARSS 2017 in Fort Worth Texas. Come to learn, be inspired, and network!
- In 2017, we are launching the IEEE GRSS Women Mentoring Women (WMW) Pilot Program. Worldwide, women remain underrepresented in the STEM workforce and gender bias persists. GRSS wants to encourage professional development of women in GRSS, and we strive to raise awareness and engage the GRSS community. The main purpose is to provide support for women within GRSS at various career stages ranging from early career to senior professionals. This encompasses individual, one-on-one connections that are fostered between mentor and mentee. In these individual mentoring meetings, the mentor and mentee discuss professional, academic, and personal issues. They set goals, problem-solve and celebrate successes. It is understood that both mentors and mentees benefit from the mentoring relationship. Interested? Sign up here as a mentor or a mentee. Application deadline for the 2017-2018 pilot year is July 25, 2017. Please note that you need to be a current IEEE/GRSS member to be able to join. In the first year of the program (2017-2018) we will not include students or postdocs.
- The GRS Magazine includes a regular column on Women in Geoscience and Remote Sensing. We encourage you to check out these columns for information relevant to you and your career. Here are links to a few of our recent columns:
- Join us for professional networking on our LinkedIn page and on our Facebook page.
- The Women in Geoscience and Remote Sensing Luncheon at IGARSS was started in 2012 as one of the IGARSS social events. The event provides an informal forum for women and men interested in supporting diversity to interact with other women and senior members in an informal setting. The program typically features a speaker with a short presentation on topics appropriate to the audience.
Sign up today for the Women in Geoscience Luncheon at IGARSS 2017 in Fort Worth!
- The WIE International Leadership Conference (WIE ILC) offers a great opportunity for women (and men) to interact with the WIE community and to gain valuable leadership skills. GRSS subsidizes travel for 1-3 GRSS members to attend WIE ILC each year. You can find information on nominating yourself or a colleague here: PDF, WORD.
- Learn more about WIE by paging through their interactive e-Book that is all about members of IEEE WIE categorized by industry, profession, schooling, their many impressive achievements, and much more. View the IEEE WIE e-Book
- IEEE WIE Awards include “Inspiring Member of the Year”, “Inspiring Student Member of the Year”, and “Affinity Group of the Year”. Look into award and nomination information to nominate fellow women engineers and scientists!
We encourage you to contact us with ways we can improve our outreach and activities, if you would like to suggest topics such as guest editors, featured women leaders, etc., for the GRS Magazine column, or if you would like to volunteer. We can also help if you seek Senior or higher IEEE Membership status.
Women in GRSS Contacts: