Women in Geoscience & Remote Sensing (WinGRSS)
Connect with us on LinkedIn and Facebook!
IEEE Women in Engineering (WIE) is the largest international professional organization dedicated to promoting women engineers & scientists, and inspiring women and girls around the world to follow their academic interests to a career in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM).
The mission of IEEE WIE is to facilitate the global recruitment and retention of women in technical disciplines. IEEE WIE envisions a vibrant community of IEEE women and men collectively using their diverse talents to innovate for the benefit of humanity. WIE aspires to inspire, engage and advance women in engineering. Join WIE today!
WinGRSS develops programs and provide services within GRSS geared towards women & minorities:
- The Women in Geoscience and Remote Sensing Luncheon at IGARSS
was started in 2012. The event is an informal lunch for women & men to network with other women & senior GRSS members. The event typically features a speaker with a short presentation and plenty of networking opportunities. Sign up today for the Women in Geoscience Luncheon at IGARSS 2018 in Valencia!
- 2017 – Women in GRSS Luncheon was at IGARSS in Fort Worth
- 2016 – Women in GRSS Luncheon was at IGARSS in Beijing
- 2015 – Women in GRSS Luncheon was at IGARSS in Milan
- 2014 – Women in GRSS Luncheon was at IGARSS in Quebec City
- 2013 – Women in GRSS Social was at IGARSS in Melbourne
- 2012 – Women in GRSS Luncheon was at IGARSS in Munich
- The Women in STEM Forum at IGARSS was started in 2017 to promote diversity, inclusion, and career success in GRSS that benefit all IGARSS attendees, but is particularly focused on women & minority attendees. The IGARSS Women in STEM Forum features accomplished women in STEM from a mix of backgrounds and with diverse career paths. We are inviting you to join the Women in STEM Forum at IGARSS 2018 in Valencia, Spain. Come to learn, be inspired, and network!
- In 2018, we are entering the second year of the IEEE GRSS Women Mentoring Women (WMW) Program. GRSS wants to encourage professional development of women in GRSS and strives to raise awareness and engage the GRSS community. The main purpose is to provide support for women within GRSS at various career stages ranging from early career to senior professionals. This encompasses individual, one-on-one connections that are fostered between mentor & mentee. In these individual mentoring meetings, the mentor & mentee discuss professional, academic, and personal issues. They set goals, problem-solve and celebrate successes. It is understood that both mentors and mentees benefit from the mentoring relationship. Interested? Sign up as a mentor or a mentee. Application deadline for the 2018-2019 year is July 27, 2018. Please note that you need to be a current IEEE/GRSS member to be able to join.
- The GRS Magazine includes a regular column on Women in GRSS. We encourage you to check these columns out for information relevant to you and your career.
- The WIE International Leadership Conference (WIE ILC) offers a great opportunity for women (and men) to interact with the WIE community and to gain valuable leadership skills. GRSS subsidizes travel for 1-3 GRSS members to attend WIE ILC each year. Interested? Send us an email to nominate yourself or a colleague!
- IEEE WIE Awards include “Inspiring Member of the Year”, “Inspiring Student Member of the Year”, and “Affinity Group of the Year”. Look into award and nomination information to nominate fellow women engineers & scientists or send us an email!
We encourage you to contact us with ideas for outreach & activities, to suggest topics, guest editors, and women leaders, articles/writers for the GRS Magazine column, or to volunteer. We are also happy to help you to get elevated to Senior or higher IEEE membership status.
Women in GRSS Contacts:
- Lori Bruce, LBruce@tntech.edu, (2018 WIE liaison from GRSS AdCom)
- Mariko S. Burgin, firstname.lastname@example.org