IEEE Women in Engineering
IEEE Women in Engineering (WIE) is the largest international professional organization dedicated to promoting women engineers and scientists and inspiring girls around the world to follow their academic interests to a career in engineering. The IEEE WIE home page is here: http://www.ieee.org/membership_services/membership/women/index.html
The mission of IEEE WIE is to facilitate the global recruitment and retention of women in technical disciplines. IEEE WIE envisions a vibrant community of IEEE women and men collectively using their diverse talents to innovate for the benefit of humanity. WIE aspires to inspire, engage and advance women in engineering. To join WIE: http://www.ieee.org/membership_services/membership/women/women_join.html
Within GRSS, the 2015-2016 WIE liaison from AdCom is Gail Skofronick Jackson: firstname.lastname@example.org
We are currently working to develop programs and provide services within GRSS geared to women members:
- Most issues of the GRS Magazine include a regular column on Women in Geoscience and Remote Sensing. We encourage you to check out these columns for information relevant to you and your career.
- We have a LinkedIn page: http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=4422435
- The Women in Geoscience and Remote Sensing Luncheon at IGARSS was started in 2012 as one of the social events available during IGARSS. The event is intended to provide an informal forum for women and men interested in supporting these initiatives to interact with other women and senior members in an informal setting. The program is typically a featured speaker with a short presentation on topics appropriate to the audience.
- The WIE International Leadership Conference (WIE ILC) offers the greatest opportunity for women (and men) to interact with the WIE community and to gain valuable leadership skills. GRSS subsidizes travel for 1-3 GRSS members to attend WIE ILC each year. You can find information on nominating yourself or a colleague here: PDF, WORD.
- Meet WIE in an interactive e-Book by paging through their robust e-Book that is all about members of IEEE WIE categorized by industry, profession, schooling, their many impressive achievements, and much more. View the IEEE WIE e-Book
- IEEE WIE Awards include Inspiring Member of the Year, Inspiring Student Member of the Year, and Affinity Group of the Year. Award and nomination information is at: http://www.ieee.org/membership_services/membership/women/women_recognition.html
We encourage you to contact us with ways we can improve our outreach and activities, including suggested topics (and guest editors, featured women leaaders) for the GRS Magazine column. We can also help you seek Senior or higher IEEE Membership status. Contacts: Gail Skofronick Jackson, email@example.com, and Linda Hayden, firstname.lastname@example.org.