With the increasing demand for Earth Observation data to support environmental monitoring, to anticipate and respond to natural disasters, to inform decision making and to assist citizens in their daily activities, it is ever more important the final outputs of sensor-algorithm-product chains are accessible and usable by everyone who could benefit from their use. It is particularly important that users be able to combine data from diverse sources.
The explosive growth of constellations of small satellites and the increasing ubiquity of remote and para-sensors in cars and on other platforms, as well as their connectivity to the Internet provide an opportunity for industry and academia to work together to define formats and interfaces to make data generated by all of these sensors interoperable and accessible.
As a leading world organization dedicated to advancing the scientific and technical theory and application of remote sensing for the geosciences, the IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Society (GRSS) seeks to bring together industry and academia to identify where standardization can improve the generation, distribution and utilization of interoperable data products from remote sensing systems.
The GRSS Technical Committee on Standards for Earth Observations will advance the usability and uptake of remote sensing products by shepherding the creation of standards that address identified needs. This will be accomplished by
- Assembling an a committee consisting of representatives from remote sensing companies, research institutions and standards experts
- Initiating studies to identify where standardization of a remote sensing product or service could lead to greater adoption in some target market
- Drafting proposals for standards development, which could lead to creation of subcommittees or working groups within existing Standards Development Organizations such as IEEE, OGC, CEOS, or ISO
- Soliciting sponsors for the standards development work
- Performing education and outreach to maximize standard adoption
The scope of the GRSS Technical Committee on Standards for Earth Observations includes all types of Earth observing systems and products. Standards development efforts will be undertaken via an open consensus process by an appropriate Standards Development Organization.
Membership is open to all interested parties.
Dr. Siri Jodha Khalsa
Standards for Earth Observations Technical Committee Chair
Research Scientist in remote sensing, GIS and informatics
National Snow and Ice Data Center
Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences
The University of Colorado
Boulder CO 80309-0449
Dr. Kevin Romero
Standards for Earth Observations Technical Committee Co-Chair
Los Angeles, California, USA