About the Industry Distinguished Lecturer Program
The Industry Distinguished Lecturers Program is a service of the Geoscience and Remote Sensing Society and its members to support our chapter activities. Our goal is provide chapters with access to leading professionals in our discipline.
In light of the ongoing pandemic and uncertain travel restrictions, for the calendar year 2021, lectures and presentations under the Distinguished Lecturers or Industry Distinguished Lecturer program should be given virtually. That is, at this time, GRSS and IEEE are not approving travel fund requests.
Requests for a lecture by one of the Industry Distinguished Lecturers is initiated by the local chapter with approval by the GRSS. The chapter contacts the speaker and after agreement is reached on the details of the visit, the chapter submits an application form to the Industry Distinguished Lecturers Program chairperson.
Support for a speaker is limited to $1500 per domestic trip and $3000 for a trip between continents. No honorarium is to be paid to the speakers who are members of this program (but chapters can provide meals, local transportation, etc. as appropriate).
The following are the steps to book a speaker.
- Chapter contacts the speaker and arranges details of the visit;
- The Chapter submits a proposal to the chair of the Industry Distinguished Lecturers Program. This should include (see application form):
- Speaker’s name with title and abstract for talk;
- Description of event (e.g. chapter meeting);
- Travel plan (details of travel to be funded)
- Budget (airfare, rental car, hotel, meal allowance, etc)*
- Chapter and Speaker are informed by the GRSS of approval;
- Event takes place;
- Reimbursement to Speaker
- Speaker submits IEEE expense voucher for reimbursement;
- Voucher must conform to approved budget;
- IEEE/GRSS reimburses speaker.