Standards activities provide a proven path to advancing technology implementation and are a natural extension to the technical activities carried out within IEEE Societies and Councils.
In 2017 the Geoscience and Remote Sensing Society formed the Standards for Earth Observations Technical Committee to support the development and promotion of technical standards related to the generation, distribution, and utilization of interoperable data products from remote sensing systems. By 2020 five standards development projects, sponsored by the GRSS Standards Committee (GRSS/SC), had been initiated with the IEEE Standards Association (IEEE-SA).
Recognizing the uniqueness and importance of standards work within the Society, the GRSS created the Standards in Earth Observations Ad Hoc Committee (SEOAH) to function as the managing organizational unit within GRSS to handle standards development. The GRSS/SC, which is within the IEEE-SA, functions under the umbrella of the SEOAH. The SEOAH continues to foster the creation of standards that address identified needs. This is being accomplished by:
- Liaising with the GRSS Technical Committees to identify where standardization of a remote sensing product or service could lead to greater adoption in some target market
- Engaging representatives from remote sensing companies, research institutions, and standards laboratories in standards development activities that it sponsors
- Exploring the creation of working groups within Standards Development Organizations such as IEEE, OGC, CEOS, and ISO
- Soliciting sponsors for standards development work
- Performing education and outreach to maximize standard adoption
The scope of the GRSS Ad Hoc Committee on Standards for Earth Observations includes all types of Earth-observing systems and products. Standards development efforts will be undertaken via an open consensus process by an appropriate Standards Development Organization.
Membership is open to all interested parties.
For instructions on how to get involved or stay informed on meetings and other activities of the GRSS ad hoc committee on Standards for Earth Observations visit our New Member Form.
Current Standards Projects
- Characterization and Calibration of Hyperspectral Imaging Devices Working Group (P4001)
- Synthetic Aperture Radar Metadata Content Working Group (P4002)
- Global Navigation Satellite System-Reflectometry Data and Metadata Content Working Group (P4003)
- Calibration of microwave radiometers Working Group (P4004)
- Standards and protocols for soil spectroscopy Working Group (P4005)
- Remote Sensing RFI Impact Assessment Working Group (P4006)
The Ad Hoc Committee on Standards in Earth Observations encourages participation from all its members.
Dr. Siri Jodha Khalsa
Mrs. Betty Evans