Institute of Coastal Research, Remote Sensing Dept., Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht, Geesthacht, Germany
Deadline: September 30, 2020
We are investigating biogeochemical and -optical properties of seawater and their determination from satellite remote sensing with a focus on optically complex coastal waters. For these investigations, a unique set of instruments for the determination of hyperspectral absorption and scattering properties of water as well as algorithms for their estimation from Earth observations is developed and used. The successful candidate will work on a project to better understand and estimate phytoplankton diversity and primary production on different spatial and temporal scales.
- PhD in Oceanography, Earth Sciences, Remote Sensing, Biology or related discipline
- good understanding of ocean optics and remote sensing as well as ocean dynamics
- experience with processing and interpretation of observational data
- excellent programming skills in Matlab, Python or similar language
- good knowledge of English (written and oral)