Description: The GRSS Education Award was established to recognize an individual who has made significant educational contributions in terms of the innovation and extent of its overall impact. The contributions can be at any level, including K-12, undergraduate and graduate teaching, professional development and public outreach. It can also be in any form (e.g. textbooks, curriculum development, and educational program initiatives).
Eligibility: GRSS membership is a requirement. Individuals who have received the GRSS Distinguished Achievement Award are not eligible within 5 years. Eligibility and the selection process shall comply with procedures and regulation established in IEEE and Society governing documents, particularly with IEEE Policy 4.4 on Awards Limitations.
Award Items: Certificate.
Frequency: The award shall be presented annually to one recipient, provided a qualified candidate is nominated.
Nominee Solicitation: The nomination package must be submitted by an IEEE GRSS member, consisting of the following:
- A nomination letter, no more than 2-pages in length, from a GRSS member
- Nomination template
- A complete curriculum vitae of the candidate
- At least 2 recommendation letters from individuals familiar with the candidate’s technical contributions and achievements
Selection/Basis for Judging: The Awards Committee (MAC) may give preference to an individual who:
- Is an IEEE member with the Grade of Senior Member,
- Has been a member of GRSS and IEEE for at least 5 years,
- Has recognized education success in the field of interest,
- Has been engaged in education for at least 10 years.
Recipients will be notified by early March.
Presentation: The award shall be presented at an awards ceremony during the International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, IGARSS, together with other IEEE GRSS awards.