Description: The GRSS Early Career Award is to promote, recognize and support young scientists and engineers within the Geoscience and Remote Sensing Society who have demonstrated outstanding ability and promise for significant contributions in the future.
Eligibility: The candidate must be for at least 5 years an IEEE GRSS member with an age less than 35 years at the time of nomination and making outstanding contributions in one or more GRSS field(s) of interest. Eligibility and selection process shall comply with procedures and regulation established in IEEE and Society governing documents, particularly with IEEE Policy 4.4 on Awards Limitations.
Previous winners of this award are ineligible.
Award Items: Prize items are a Certificate and US$1500 honorarium.
Frequency: The prize shall be presented annually to one recipient, provided a qualified candidate is nominated.
Nominee Solicitation: The nomination package must be submitted by an IEEE GRSS member by December 15, in addition to the following:
- a nomination letter, no more than 2-pages in length, from a GRSS member
- a complete curriculum vitae of the candidate
- at least 2 recommendation letters from individuals familiar with the candidate’s technical contributions and achievements
Selection/Basis for Judging: Criteria for the candidate selection are:
- quality, significance and impact of contributions,
- papers published in archival journals
- papers presented at conferences and symposia,
- demonstration of leadership, and
- advancement of profession.
Recipients will be notified by early March.
Presentation: The award shall be presented at an awards ceremony during the International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, IGARSS, together with other IEEE GRSS awards.