Description: The GRSS Education Award was established in 2000 to recognize an individual who has made significant educational contributions in terms of the innovation and extent of its overall impact. The contributions can be at any level, including K-12, undergraduate and graduate teaching, professional development and public outreach. It can also be in any form (e.g. textbooks, curriculum development, and educational program initiatives).
Elegibility: GRSS membership is a requirement. Individuals who have received the GRSS Distinguished Achievement Award are not eligible within 5 years. The Awards Committee may give preference to an individual who:
- Is an IEEE member with the Grade of Senior Member,
- Has been a member of GRSS and IEEE for at least 5 years,
Award Items: Certificate.
Frequency: The award shall be presented annually to one recipient, provided a qualified candidate is nominated.
Nominee Solicitation: A nomination package must be submitted by an IEEE GRSS member to the GRSS Major Awards Committee Chair, consisting of the following:
- a nomination letter from a GRSS member (Nomination Form)
- nominee performance portfolio
- up to 3 recommendation letters from individuals familiar with the candidate’s technical contributions and achievements
Selection/Basis for Judging: Selection criteria for the Awards Committee are:
- recognized education success in the field of interest
- engaged in education for at least 10 years
Presentation: The award shall be presented at an awards ceremony during the International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, IGARSS, together with other IEEE GRSS awards.
Publicity: A feature publication will be published in the IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing and/or in the GRSS Newsletter.
Schedule: The following schedule shall be the guideline:
Dec. 15.: nominations are due for awards in the following year
Dec. 20.: all nominations sent out to the Major Awards Cmte
Feb. 15.: evaluations received from the GRSS Major Awards Cmte
Spring AdCom: approval of the candidate by GRSS AdCom